Saturday, June 11, 2011

Growing Up

A lot of very exciting things have been happening around here. Everyone is growing up and doing cool things. Kendall took the training wheels off her bike. She probably could have done it last summer, but she was way too scared. All year she has been cruising up and down the hill we live on like a crazy person, so Ethan somehow convinced her to let him take them off. And she hasn't slowed down without them at all. She is a real dare devil that one. She has also learned how to do a back hand spring, which is pretty neat, but also another reason for me to worry about her and her crazy antics. She is flying through every book we give her, and I am happy it is summer just so I don't have to be so strict about her not hiding books under her covers at bed time. Just because I am a proud mother I have to brag about her just a little. I went to pick her up from school early on the last day because it was the only time we could get a Dr. Appointment for her. As I was signing her out at the front desk her art teacher heard them call for Kendall and asked if I was her mom. She said she was glad she got to meet me because she just loves Kendall and wanted to let me know what a great girl she thinks Kendall is. And that her and the P.E. teacher and the music teacher all rave about Kendall being so much fun to have in class. As a parent I love hearing that kind of thing and couldn't wait to tell Ethan about it. And when her teacher brought her up to me she had tears in her eyes as she told Kendall she would really miss having her in class, and thanked her for being such a great student. I don't blame them, there is something about Kendall that is just fun to be around. She is a very caring kid for someone so little, and she really makes others feel special and important. How blessed we are to have her in our family.

Bryan has grown. For those of you that know Bryan you will appreciate the awesomeness of this! And while he isn't a giant, people don't say "Oh Really?!! when we tell them he's five. It also means that he has needed a bunch of new clothes, but since he wore the same pants for probably three years I really don't see how I can complain about it. And, he is HILARIOUS! I don't know any other way to explain that, and again, if you know Bryan you can understand what I mean. There is just something about that kid that is pure comedic genius. Half of it is the things he says and the other half is his adorable voice. I can't remember who it was, but someone was over at our house and mentioned that Bryan was so fun to talk to because his ideas sounded so mature while his voice was still just so little. He has a knack for adding, loves ALL things super hero, and just learned to do a cart wheel. And he is such an empathetic little guy. He always thinks of other people first. One Friday he asked what we were going to do when Kendall got home from school and I told him that we were going to get all our chores done since Saturday was going to be too busy. He asked if he could help me and we could work really fast and get all the chores done before Kendall came home. I couldn't figure out why he was in such a hurry to do so much work, but he told me it was because he wanted to surprise Kendall and she would be so happy when she found out that everything was already finished. Seriously, what five year old does all their sister's chores for them just because they love to make them happy?! And he has buried every dead insect in a 100 ft. radius of our house. I am pretty sure they are all in the same shallow grave, but still it is because he loves them. He is a sweetheart that one.

And then there is Nathan. He loves everything. You talk to him - he smiles. You sing to him - he smiles. You hold him - he smiles. You walk casually by him and glance his way - he smiles. He just loves life. And he loves Kendall and Bryan. Those two can make him laugh this adorable belly laugh. He always has an amazing laugh, but he saves the best laughs for them. He does get fussy every once and a while, and it is so uncharacteristic that I can't figure out what is wrong. And then I remember, oh yeah, he's a baby. Babies cry sometimes. He still holds hands with me, but not like he did when he was a newborn. But when I pick him up and give him a squeeze he squeezes me with his hands and I just know he is giving me a hug. This baby is way too sweet. The doctor called him "Girthy!" Haha, girthy Nathan. And he rolled over last week. The first time he did it I was folding laundry in my bedroom and he was on his back on the floor by me. We were talking and he was cooing at me, and then I left the room to put some of the kids clothes away. I heard him start to fuss, but I was almost done so I finished quickly and then went back to my room. He was on his belly, and once I got down so I could look him and tell him how proud I was he rolled over he just started laughing and cooing again. I called Kendall and Bryan up and we all told him how proud we were, and he was just happy as can be. We tried to get it on tape for Ethan, so we rolled him onto his back again, but he was just pickled that we were all talking to him that he didn't care one bit about rolling over. Then he rolled over again while he was on the floor in the family room with the kids and I was it the bathroom. He started fussing, but obviously I couldn't pick him up right away, and he got so mad and just rolled over! He does it every time I lay him down now. It is super cute, but when we are trying to change a diaper it makes things a little difficult. He reminds me a bit of Zoolander because he will only roll to his right side. We are waiting to see him figure out rolling from his belly to his back, but he is not quite there yet.

No pictures today. I have some cute ones but they are all still on the camera. "Load them on the computer" you say? Sorry friends, its after twelve and morning comes early. Next time though, I promise.

No comments: