Sunday, September 20, 2009

Yummy Oatmeal

When I was growing up breakfast was a big deal at our house. We ate breakfast as a family and my parents usually tried to make it a nice, hot breakfast. We had a lot of oatmeal, cream of wheat, french toast and eggs in a basket - just an egg cooked inside a piece of bread with a hole in the middle, served plain or topped with syrup, definitely one of my kids favorites as well! Now that Kendall is in school I am trying harder to have the same tradition in our house. I am always on the lookout for yummy, quick things to eat besides cold cereal that will give us all a good start to our day. I found a recipe for Blueberry Vanilla Oatmeal that we couldn't wait to try. We had a friend over this morning, and decided it was a great time to try out our new recipe. It was DELICIOUS! It was so quick and had such a great flavor that I had to share it. You really should try it when you have some blueberries. Plus it has given me a lot of other good ideas of things to add to oatmeal. Seriously, so yummy.




Blueberry Vanilla Oatmeal

3 Cups Water
2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
2/3 Cup Sugar
1/8 tsp Salt
1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries (I used frozen. It tasted great and helped cool the oatmeal down.)
2 Tablespoons refrigerated French Vanilla non dairy creamer plus
1 1/2 teaspoons refrigerated French Vanilla non dairy creamer

Just boil the water, then stir in the oatmeal, sugar and salt. Remove from heat after the oatmeal has cooked and add the blueberries and Vanilla Cream.

This made enough for two adults and three children at our house, so you can adjust the measurements accordingly for your own family. You will have to tell me what you think after you try it. And I would love to hear your families favorite things to add to oatmeal!

2 comments:

Jay and Sherrie said...

Sounds yummy!

The Toronto Family said...

sounds yummy! we like chopped dried apricots, crazins and a little brown sugar. I like to have a good breakfast if I can in the morning too, I will make a big double batch of french toast, pancakes or waffles. And then Freeze them! that way I can just pop them in the toaster or toaster oven. Makes a yummy breakfast faster.. I have a whole wheat recipe I love if you want to know it check out my blog www.joanntoronto.blogspot.com I hope you share more recipes I LOVE getting idea from friends!