
It is a typical Wednesday, which means we are hanging out as a family watching Wipeout! - the greatest show ever - and a commercial comes on. It is your usual end of summer commercial all about how buying your children every school supply under the sun will make you the best parent and bring you and your child closer together. This particular one was for a college student buying all of the "necessary" dorm supplies, and although I am a slave to advertising I usually just block this type of commercial out and wait for my show. But not this time. This time I start thinking about how fast the last five years have gone and how it really isn't going to be all that long before I will be packing up my beautiful baby girl and dropping her off at some college, and then it is just a blink away before I will be doing the same thing with my baby boy, and before I know it my crazy gene kicks in and I am sobbing while my kiddos watch uncoordinated wackos bounce head first into mud. (Seriously, if you haven't seen wipeout, you are missing out!) Yes, I realize I should probably be hospitalized. But for that brief moment I felt my sweet kids grow up right before my eyes and I couldn't control the molten crazy from erupting and spewing all over the family room. It didn't take long to compose myself, but similar emotions washed over me today when Bryan and I dropped Kendall off for her first day of kindergarten. She was so excited, and she looked so stinkin' cute in her new school outfit and her TinkerBell backpack. I held it together up until she started to follow her teacher into the classroom and looked back at me with her angel face and nervous eyes, waiting for me to reassure her that this was an okay thing to do. I gave her a big thumbs up, and she smiled and put on her brave face and marched into school like a champ, and that is when the tears started to fall. She is so ready to be in school all day - the kid is like a sponge and has soaked up almost everything I have, so it is time to move on to the next reservoir of knowledge. We love you Kendall! You are the most lovable kindergartener I know. I can't wait to watch you grow. And I will soak it all in and enjoy all our time together before it is time to buy you every school supply under the sun and drop you off at some dorm half way across the country. And then the commercials will really make me cry.
8 comments:
You have a great writing style, Janice! I got all teary thinking about Andrew's first day of kindergarten! I took the day off from work so I could go home and cry...And now I am at that place of sending him to a dorm a long way away. It will be sad, but exciting at the same time. Teens really have a way of making you kinda glad they are going! LOL!!
You are so funny! But I know exactly what you mean! They grow up so fast...in the blink of an eye. Cherish every moment!
Awww, Kendall's so cute! Our family loves Wipeout, too! We even let the kids stay up extra late so we can watch it together. We all laugh our heads off! It's great fun! Oh, and I know the commercial you are talking about. I'm right with you and get all teary eyed when I see it. I'm just a big bawl baby, really. They do grow up fast, so I think it's great that you are trying to live more in the moment, than catch it on camera. Enjoy them, I say! Also, I'm glad you started a blog, I love to read them all!
I love how you write! And I totally know about crying because of a commercial! It's a bit emotional having your baby "grow up". She looks so cute! I also love that you and Bryan had so much fun at the Children's Museum. I've noticed the more I take time out with the kids, the more fun I have and the more love I feel for my kids. So fun!
I haven't gotten the chance to ever really spend time with you (partly cause I am a bad visiting teaching partner) but I think you have the cutest personality! Your story writting is great and very intertaining! Just to comfort you a little... Your not alone!!! I cry over the stupidest things ever when it comes to my girls! I swore I would never do it when my dad did the same. My husband makes fun of me for it all the time. Mayah had a dance recital and I cried my eyes out! It just shows we love our kids, and are proud to be there mom!
Okay, so if you wanted me to cry it worked! I mean the music and the image of dropping off your little one, oh it is too much, but it is too sweet at the same time! Thanks for sharing!!
Wendi
yeah, we don't talk about things like this at my house! It's against the rules...cuz I know I'm going to be a mess when I have to send my baby girl to school next year...we just DON'T talk about it!
No Way!!!
Kendall is already in school?!? Although I suppose that makes sense considering that I was prego with Brooks at the same time... and his first day is tomorrow. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that I'll be at work when he walks into the building. Wouldn't want to start the, 'ugly cry'.
Thanks for letting me know about your blog. I'm loving it!
Charaty
Post a Comment